The Lutheran High School Association of Greater Milwaukee (LHSAGM), a collective of 30 churches of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, acts as steward for four local Lutheran schools: Milwaukee Lutheran High School, Martin Luther High School, Lake Country Lutheran High School, and Mount Calvary Lutheran School. LHSAGM provides vision, funding, accountability and operational efficiencies for these culturally distinct schools.
The original association was not composed of congregations, but of individuals who had an interest in the cause for Lutheran education in Milwaukee.
The first class of Lutheran High school in 1903 was composed of 21 girls who met in the old Immanuel Lutheran School on the southeast corner of North Ave. and Twelfth Street. In 1904, two full time instructors were called to serve the 48 students that enrolled. Due to the increased student enrollment, the school moved into a new location on the corner of 13th Street and Vine at the site of the former Wisconsin Synod Seminary. A permanent brick structure was constructed on the same site in 1908.
The first association of congregations assumed responsibility for Lutheran High School in 1918. At that time, the total student body was about 125 students taught by only three-full time teachers. Enrollment continued to increase from 210 students in 1923 to 327 students by 1928. This necessitated two additions to the building in 1923 and 1928.
Due to the depression, the enrollment of Lutheran High declined to a low of 265 students in 1938. However, World War II and a more stable economy allowed growth to 858 students in 1946. With the large number of students and tensions between the Missouri Synod and Wisconsin Synod, it was resolved in 1951 that the school split. Thus, out of Lutheran High were formed Milwaukee Lutheran and Wisconsin Lutheran.
The Lutheran High School Association was formed by 27 Missouri Synod congregations in 1952.
On August 22, 1954 ground was broken to begin construction of the Milwaukee Lutheran Campus on the present site on Grantosa Drive was held The building opened for classes on September 12, 1955 with 806 students and 36 faculty members. By 1963, the building was over capacity with 1,250 students enrolled.
Martin Luther High School was dedicated September 15, 1968. Martin Luther High School opened for classes with 12 teachers and 85 freshmen and sophomore students. The mission behind the school was to provide a Christian high school education to the booming elementary enrollment in the south-side of Milwaukee that was pushing Milwaukee Lutheran High School to its limits of 1100 students. The school was named for the 450th anniversary of the Reformation, and they first broke ground on April 30, 1967. The same shovel that broke ground a decade earlier for Milwaukee Lutheran was used for Martin Luther’s beginning as well. Construction finished exactly one year later, ahead of schedule, fulfilling their promise and prayer of “We’ve done it once before, of course we can do it again, with God’s help.”
Lake Country Lutheran opened it's doors in the fall of 1999 with just 5 students. Space was rented from Divine Redeemer Lutheran Church and School in Hartland Wisconsin as LCL got started. In the coming years as enrollment numbers grew the LCL campus made a temporary move to Oconomowoc as we rented and renovated the old YMCA on the west side of town. LCL moved into its permanent facility in February of 2009 after ten years of renting spaces in the Lake Country area. The state of the art school building contains classrooms, three science labs, two computer labs, music rooms, athletic locker rooms, the Great Hall student center and an extra-large Gymnasium with a capacity for 1200 spectators. The beautiful 100 acre campus has outdoor practice facilities as well as competition fields for soccer, softball, baseball, football and cross country.
Mount Calvary Lutheran School started in 1925 with 9 students in a duplex on 53rd and Locust. In 1927, its first school building with two classrooms was built as an addition to the church. Increasing enrollment between 1948-2007 prompted multiple building expansions for a library, gym, kitchen, computer room, science lab, and additional classrooms. In the fall of 2020, Mount Calvary and the LHSAGM started discussions on how they can be "Better Together" in bringing Christ's hope to the heart of the city. On March 23, 2021, Mount Calvary Lutheran School signed an agreement to become the fourth school of the LHSAGM. Mount Calvary now has the full support of the LHSAGM administrative services while maintaining its own school culture and personality. By combining efforts and resources, the four LHSAGM schools have organizational efficiencies that make them even "Better Together" in serving the Greater Milwaukee community.
To support the long-term financial sustainability:
In 2018 we added 3in1 Thrift Store as a volunteer run shop whose profits support the LHSAGM schools.
Most recently 2019 saw the launch of TRIUN3 (pronounced Triune) to provide support, outsourced financial services, and strategic consulting to faith based organizations including schools and churches.